Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Mainers Come to Nica

Hi everyone,

Last week, I had some friends and family come visit for ten days, and it was just the boost of encouragement I needed! My brother Ben, his wife Bree, my good friend Troy (Bree's brother), and his girlfriend Erin all had a great time. It was so cool having them with me in Nicaragua. Here are some highlights of their visit!

Tired after their late-night arrival, but happy to be here! First, we spent a few days in Granada seeing some of the great sights of Nica. On their first day here, we did a boat tour of the islands in Granada. It was beautiful, as usual.


Amy & Abigail also joined us in Granada. We had to go to Kathy's Waffle House, of course. They have the BEST American breakfast you'll ever have in Nicaragua.

I also wanted to make sure that the gang got to try ziplining!
Definitely an adventure.

Afterward, it was time to go see a great of view the Laguna de Apoyo.
Ben making his first Nica business deal...

After a few nice days exploring Granada, it was time to travel up to Chinandega to show everyone what we're all about here. Simon and I took them to one of our meetings in Ojo de Agua. They loved it, and Ben even gave a comment in Spanish!
Troy & Erin ready for the meeting.


One thing that was especially interesting for me was the gang needing me to translate everything in Spanish for them. It was very weird - it made me realize that maybe my Spanish isn't so terrible after all! For instance, Ben got a chance to get his haircut in Nicaragua. He got to have a good conversation with the barber about soccer and baseball - with me mediating! It was hilarious.

Everyone wanted to get a chance to go out in service here. They all learned a brief presentation in Spanish. They got to work some territory right in Chinandega, and Ben also came out in Ojo with Simon and I. They all loved it!
Break time out in service?

I love this picture. Brothers Roberts in Nica!

I was so proud of all of them!

The peeps also got to experience a Nica dance party. It was Amy's going-away party, and it was a lot of fun!

The next day, Ben gave the public talk in the English congregation. He did a great job, and they loved having him.
It was also Amy's last meeting. Bittersweet!

Ben, Bree, Simon and I also went off to one of the nicest beaches in Nica - Chancleta's. 

The waves were POWERFUL but the water temperature was perfect.

Ben and Bree came out with us in Ojo once again. They even got to ride on a bike, Nica style!
Simon and Ben coping with the heat!

On their last night in Nica, Moises took us all to a baseball game here in Chinandega. It was hands-down the best baseball game I've ever been to. Chinandega was losing to Granada 7-0, but then they came back with three runs. Then, in a big surprise, they got a grand slam to tie the game! Immediately after, they scored another two runs to win the game 9-7!
Ben enjoying a Nicaraguan hot dog...? 

It felt cool to explain the game to Simon and Amy. It made me feel like such a sports expert! 

Oh yeah, and the power went out in the whole stadium and city in the middle of the 8th inning.

The next day, it was time to say good-bye. First, Ben had to say farewell to his best friend in Nicaragua: the barber.

Amy came down with us to the airport, as she was leaving to go back to England shortly after my visitors left. She got to witness what big babies we are. It was so hard to say good-bye. I loved having everyone here, and it helped me feel right at home! However, hearing them all tell me how proud they are of me gave me the encouragement and motivation to continue on with my assignment here. I'm so glad that they got a chance to see what Nica is really like. Do you think they should come back? I do!


Take care!


Sam







1 comment:

  1. Sam, sorry I haven't seen this until now, but I'm proud of you also, as well as all of them. Maybe someday I'll do something like this.
    Take Care
    Lenny

    ReplyDelete