Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Ten Tips

Hi there!

A couple of my friends asked me if I could write a post with ten tips for anybody who wants to serve where the need is greater. Although I've only been here for five months (seven months total, counting the times I've come before), I figured I'd give it a try. (Disclaimer: These are tips pertaining to Nicaragua, particularly Chinandega. They probably don't apply to many other countries. :) So here they are: ten tips/words of advice, in no particular order (Simon helped too!), along with some random pictures that I've wanted to post but never got the chance to. 
  • Be adaptable. Coming to a place like this is going to be a huge shock at first. It is an entirely different culture from what anybody is used to back home. Even the way the brothers go about doing things may be a little different than what you're used to. Not only is the culture something to adjust to, but also the weather, particularly Chinandega! Your body is going to need to adjust to such a radical change of climate. However, be willing to adapt to different situations. Try new things and embrace the change!
This is where we stayed when we first came here. Different sleeping conditions for sure!
  • Learn the language. The language barrier is a major challenge that many people grow frustrated with, including yours truly. I highly recommend learning as much Spanish as you can before coming here. Even if you plan to go into the English field, it will still help you a lot even to just take a basic conversational class. I've been able to learn quite a bit while I've been here, but even so, some of the most frustrating moments I've experienced have been when the brothers and sisters tried to converse with me upon my arrival, and I just couldn't carry on a simple conversation! At the very least, learn the basics, and always try to progress with it - even if you're in an English congregation. (Also, one of the best ways to learn Spanish, as I've seen, is to just join a Spanish congregation!)
Giving my first Spanish demonstration, back in October.
  • Be patient with yourself. Living here is definitely a humbling experience, no matter how old you are. Expecting too much of yourself will only lead to disappointment. Of course you're not going to adjust to everything in the first week, but each day gets easier. Many people will tell you that things will get easier, and that may not seem true, but it is. Be realistic with what you expect of yourself. Don't compare yourself to others if you feel you aren't doing well. Just know that Jehovah sees the effort you are putting forth, and he will bless you for it! Keep that in mind, and before you know it, everything will fall into place.
  • Calculate the expense. On top of everything else, the last thing you'll want to deal with is financial trouble. Set a budget for each month (or week) and stick to it. Be sure to set aside a little extra to spend on leisure activities as well, which leads me to my next point...
  • Take time to relax! Monday appears to be the "day off" for all the need-greaters in this country, and for good reason. Preaching here, although fruitful, is exhausting! It can be exciting going on study after study or preaching from dawn until dusk, but don't burn yourself out. Jehovah wants you to see good for your hard work. Try to find something constant, something you can always rely on or run away to - a nice restaurant, a relaxing beach, an instrument you play - whatever recharges your batteries so that you can carry on.

Sit back and enjoy a good sunset once in a while!
  • Take care of yourself. Drinking plenty of water is a must, preferably bottled water only. Make sure you don't skip any meals throughout the day. Don't eat anything that doesn't look thoroughly cooked. Wash every vegetable you buy! All of these things will keep you healthy and parasite-free. Oh, and don't buy eggs from La Colonia. Just don't.
  • Develop relationships. Get to know your congregation. Even if there is a language barrier, the Spanish brothers and sisters will be so happy that you at least make the effort. Also, get to know other need-greaters in the area! You'll be amazed by how much you have in common with them. After all, they're facing the same challenges that you're facing! It can be difficult because so many people come and go at different times, but don't let that stop you. We just had an emotional farewell with two very dear friends of ours from Australia, Steve and Elkie. Although it was sad, I'm so glad to have gotten to them, and I'm sure we'll see them again. Getting to know brothers from all over the world is a huge blessing!
Me with Steve & Elkie.
  • Bring practical clothing. Don't bring the suit you wore on your wedding day. Bring good service shoes and supplies - a sturdy umbrella for rain and sun, a good water bottle, and a shady hat! It gets very dusty in Nicaragua, so be prepared. Linen clothing is highly recommended. However, don't dress so "practical" that you look like a slob. There is still a standard that needs to be maintained, so always try to look sharp!
  • Cherish every moment. When you first get here, the first seven days are going to feel like seven creative days. But you'll soon find that time flies by no matter how long you are here for. Don't constantly think about what you're gonna do when you go home. When you're here, be here! Before you know it, time will have gone past in the blink of an eye. Soak it all in, and realize how awesome of a privilege it is to be here!
  • Rely on Jehovah. I cannot emphasize that point enough. Pray every day for help, and be specific in your prayers - if you need to save up a specific amount of money, pray for the means to do that! Continue to feed yourself spiritually. You'll find so many different ways to apply scriptures while living here. Stick close to Jehovah by means of your study and ministry. You'll feel a lot closer to Him!
A group of us in Matagalpa this past October.

Well, that's the best I could do. I definitely don't know all there is to know, but I hope it helps whoever wants to come here to be prepared for challenges you may face. I know all of this may make things seem kind of daunting. But no matter what, just remember that the good definitely outweighs the bad! I've definitely found that to be true in my case. So give it a try! Even if you're only able to come for a couple of weeks, it's still an unforgettable experience. 

Oh yeah, and having a good ministry partner certainly makes a big difference!

Hope everyone is well.


Sam

5 comments:

  1. Very accurate and practical advise Sam and Simon. I can't emphasize enough the importance of relying on Jehovah and to cherish every moment! Like you said no matter how long that you can come, it is an experience of a life time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey really enjoyed your tips.
    Been over in Honduras for 6 weeks and a friend from back home in england sent me a link to your blog.
    Keep up the good work in Nicaragua.

    I now need tips on how to write a good blog!
    Regards
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm from California and moving to Africa with a friend soon. I'm super excited, but have also been pretty nervous about going again, since I already felt all those home sickness blues living in Brazil for a bit a couple years ago. I had just had a bad week thinking about some of the hardships of serving elsewhere, when my friend said your blog was mentioned by her circuit overseer in a talk. It happened to be this post on the top - soooo encouraging to read about how others experience these same potential problem spots and that I'm not crazy :) And how each of them can be overcome, especially with Jehovah's help. Thanks for the reminder! I'll be checking into your adventures every now and then.
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,

    I hope this helps....Home will always be home, it's not going anywhere. You, however, have an opportunity of a lifetime. The benefits far outweigh the sacrifice.

    As Sam's mom, I cried for days after he left. Those tears soon diminished when I saw Jehovah's hand in the picture!! We are a very close family who never missed a meal together. You can imagine the void that was felt by the empty seat at the dinner table. We, ourselves, have been encouraged by seeing him use his youth to full in Jehovah's service. I'm sure your family will experience the same!!

    Best wishes when you go to Africa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful and well written summery indeed! I concur.

    Cortny

    ReplyDelete