Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Transportation

Hello,

I apologize for the delay. Life has been hectic as usual! I don't have too much to report at the moment, but (at the suggestion of my brother) I thought I'd write a little bit about something truly fascinating in Nicaragua: transportation.

If you have ever been to Central America, then you likely already know what I'm talking about. There are so many different ways of getting from here to there, and I know I'll get a lot of backlash from my local Nicaraguan friends for saying this, but here it is: they are very reckless drivers! I cannot tell you how many times I've gotten into a vehicle and thought that it might be the last time I ever did. They've recently installed multiple traffic lights throughout the city, which has caused quite a controversy among the drivers here, making some of them even more prone to road rage! But hey, at the same time, there are crazy drivers everywhere in the world, and that's just how the culture is here. 

Still, there's something to be said about the different modes of transportation in Nicaragua. While they may at times be dangerous and unpredictable, they certainly will take you on a mini-adventure. Let's just go over some of the different ways of getting from point A to point B, starting with the most basic:

1) The bicycle
Yes, nothing too special, I know. The bicycle is ideal for a single person who needs a good solid mode of transportation.

If you're a family of three living in Nicaragua, however, the same can easily be said of you, too! 
Not an uncommon sight at all here. The most people I've seen on one bike is six!

2) The triciclo (the tricycle) 
Triciclos are very common in Chinandega. A little cheaper than taxis, they are three-wheeled bikes commandeered by men who are considered to be the most reckless drivers in all the country. Generally, they don't show much consideration for others on the road, but it can be a fun ride once in a while! Even so, taxi drivers have nothing good to say about triciclo drivers.

3) The horse and buggy
This is used by many farm owners for transporting goods.

4) The motorcycle 
Motorcycles are used by many people in the city, including brothers. They can be ideal for going long distances, especially for getting to a place like Ojo!

5) The tuk tuk
I've shown you these before. They're pretty cool-looking three-wheelers!

6) The taxi
Chinandega is littered with taxis, although they aren't the kind that you're picturing. Here, they look just like normal cars.
A typical taxi in Chinandega.

There are literally hundreds of taxis all throughout Chinandega, so they're easily accessible if you're in a hurry. But keep your wits about you - they love trying to rip off white people!

7) The truck bus
That's not the official name for it, but it's the only way I can think of to describe this kind of public transport. If you look closely, you can see a lot of people crammed in the back!

8) The city bus
These medium-sized buses transport people to different neighborhoods throughout the city. They're actually pretty comfortable!

9) The microbus
Okay, technically it's not a bus, but these things are pretty reliable. They go to many cities throughout the country, including Managua, which is about three hours away. They may be a little cramped for space, but they're generally comfortable and don't make a lot of stops.

10) The chicken bus
This is what Central America is known for. They are retired school buses, many from the States (my buddy Sage and I once saw a bus from his old school district in Maine!), that have been transformed for public transportation down here. The name "chicken bus" comes from the fact that they pack as many people as they possibly can onto these buses, much like a truck full of chickens. Usually, they are more decorated with various colors as well. If you want a true Nicaraguan experience, then you'll get it when you take a chicken bus. Just be prepared to stand, have no personal space, and to smell odors you'll never want to smell again!

11) The express bus
Although these buses may be hard to come by, they provide you with the most comfortable ride.

As for me, I've found a solution to my transportation issue: I bought a new scooter!
It's technically not new, but definitely an answer to my prayers. My mechanic was unable to find the part we needed, and no other mechanics in the state had it. He then informed me that a friend of his was selling their bike if I was interested. After test driving it and thinking about it for a while, I decided to take it! It was definitely a good investment. It's not without its quirks - it has no back brake, left-hand mirror, and no speedometer. I'll need to get new tires for it soon, but for now, it has served me well!

Although they can be terrifying and life-threatening at times, the different forms of transportation down here are what make Nicaragua, well, Nicaragua! You may be dumbfounded by it, but the best thing you can do is just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride...and wear your seatbelt.

Hope you all are well and having a good start to the new year.

Talk soon,


Sam

4 comments:

  1. Seeing how you started with the smallest and most humble means of transportation (a bike) and built up to the BIG express bus was sure fun to see! Along with the perfect touch to your post in the end, your own personal choice. :) And you have seriously seen SIX on a bike?! I wonder if they have something like that in the Guinness Book of World Records. -And I never thought about where the old 'retired school buses' went! WOW. Seeing those busses makes me think of the old 80's movie 'Romancing the Stone' but she went to Columbia, not Nicaragua. XD Anyway, thanks for the update Sam! We always enjoy reading your posts here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why it messed up our name in the comment above like that... anyway I wanted to show you the photo we found of 6 people in Nicaragua on a SCOOTER.

    http://www.travelettes.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/6-person-bike.jpg

    But 6 people on a bicycle that sounds way harder to get going than a scooter! o_O

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very informative blog. It seems that Central Americans are known for their crazy driving. I remember Erin commenting on it. I remember her also talking about cramming into the back of an open truck to go somewhere. I am thinking some of those open conveyances could prove interesting if there were a wind and rainstorm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Brother- My wife and I plan on coming to Nicaragua this fall with the idea of possibly moving and pioneering somewhere in that area of the world. Had thought of maybe starting out in the Granada area but thats still to be determined. Would you have a contact name of someone I can talk to via Skype or possibly even e-mail so we can get a feel of what is needed and where.Appreciate any help you can give. I can be reached at surestep.sroy at gmail.com Thank you Sam

    ReplyDelete