Friday, April 5, 2013

Jorge

Hello there!

Today was just the encouraging boost that I needed. Let me give some history about my most progressive Bible student, Jorge. I've written about him before, but this will tie everything together.

I first met Jorge while doing census work with the English congregation in the downtown marketplace back in October. He introduced himself, speaking English very well. I simply shared the Truth tract with him, and he was hooked instantly. He told me, "These are all excellent questions. Could you come back so we can talk more?" 

Soon after that, I returned and started a study with him out of the Good News From God brochure. Things started off slowly but surely. He starting surprising me more and more with each passing week. His comprehension of Bible truths is incredible. We had been able to answer questions he's always had about the Bible and Jehovah's Witnesses. He always responded favorably. We had even discussed the topic of blood transfusions in just one study, and everything made sense to him right away. He was raised Catholic, and thus had been disgusted with the behavior of religious leaders, along with their teachings. He started preparing for each study, and it got to the point where he was expecting me to come every Friday.

At one point, I offered to bring him his own copy of the Bible. I returned with a copy of the New World Translation in English, but he actually turned it down. Why?! It was because his eyesight isn't that great, and his wife usually reads to him. She can't speak or read English, so they requested that I bring a copy in Spanish. I did so when I returned the next week, and ever since then, they read a portion of the Bible together (which she chooses!) every night at dinner. Their example in daily Bible reading has encouraged me to keep up with my own!

As time went on, his wife Sandra became more and more supportive. Not only does she encourage the Bible reading, but she also makes sure he reads his Good News brochure every night! A lot of times, we study for a couple hours, and are there until 9:00 PM! However, she stays right up with us and always serves us coffee & a snack afterward. She has sat in on the study in recent times, asking questions of her own. We end up having a lot of studies in Spanglish - explaining things to Jorge in English and to Sandra in Spanish. Their five-year-old son, Jorgito, also loves when we come around.

Of course, the main frustration we experience when conducting Bible studies is trying to get the students to the meetings. I had told Jorge the meeting times for the English congregation on numerous occasions, but he never made it. That's why I was so happy when we started using the Who Are Doing Jehovah's Will Today? brochure. The first time I showed it to him, he snatched it right out of my hands and couldn't put it down. We studied the chapter about what you experience at our meetings, and that seemed to put him at ease. 

While I was away in the States, I had Simon cover the study for me. I was sad to find out that Jorge got really sick and landed in the hospital for two weeks straight! He's always had problems with his heart, but it was getting pretty bad. Thankfully, he's recovered fully and is doing much better now. 

I told him about the Memorial, and Sandra encouraged him to go. They all planned to go to one of the Spanish ceremonies. Sadly, they were unable to go because of last-minute work. However, to make up for it, Sandra said that they should really try to go to one of the regular Friday meetings. They showed up to the Kingdom Hall on Friday last week at 5:00, only to find out that the Kingdom Hall was closed up! The English congregation actually ended up having their meeting earlier in the day because there was going to be a big festival later on that would disrupt the meeting. I was so bummed, but happy that they at least made the effort to go! But Jorge said that he wanted to go this week no matter what.

I showed up at Jorge's house an hour before the meeting today, and he immediately started rushing to get ready. He was very excited to meet more people - he had gotten little previews every time I took someone different with me to the study. Sandra helped him dress up a little, something he rarely does! But it was well worth the effort. We made it to his very first meeting!!

The meeting went very well. I shared my publications with him, and he understood everything perfectly, despite all the different Australian accents! Afterward, I asked him what he thought, and he said, "It was beautiful!" He was especially impressed by the fact that we use the Bible so much. He immediately said that he wanted to bring Sandra & Jorgito to the next Sunday meeting in Spanish. I was delighted to hear that, and what happened next was even better. One sister from the Congregacion al Sur was at the Kingdom Hall. It turns out she used to work with Sandra! Jorge told her that they all wanted to go to the meeting on Sunday, and this sister offered to help them get there and save seats for them. I took Jorge home afterward, where I answered some of his questions and he told Sandra all about his first meeting. They are all really excited to go as a family on Sunday!

I am so happy for Jorge and all the progress he has made, especially being able to be there with him from the very beginning. If Sandra is sincerely interested, maybe they will all have to switch to Spanish altogether. In either case, the most important thing is that they'll have been directed to Jehovah. I told him how proud I am of him, and hope he continues to progress. I'm having one brother from Australia that's just moved here cover the study while I'm away in the States. I hope he takes really good care of him! 


Oh, and by the way, it started raining during the meeting! In APRIL! We all had to keep ourselves from jumping for joy in the middle of the program, despite all the noise on the roof. I was ready to jump for joy anyway since Jorge finally made it to his first meeting! All the hard work in this brutal heat definitely pays off.

Hope you all are well.

Take care,


Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment