Saturday, April 6, 2013

Nicaraguan Sign Language

Hey everyone,

Yesterday, I got the chance to go out witnessing in the Nicaraguan Sign Language congregation with my good friend and neighbor, Jefte. It's something that we've been meaning to do together for a while now, so it was nice that it finally happened! 

That's Jefte on the left. I think I've mentioned before that he's fluent in English, so communicating with him is no problem at all. He's been my rock ever since we moved here - he helped us find an apartment, has helped me a lot with Spanish, and is always there when I need to talk. I took that picture a couple months ago while we were doing early-morning witnessing at the bus station.

Going out in Sign Language was certainly a different experience for me. It immediately made me remember the first time I went preaching in Spanish - having no idea what was being said, not being able to contribute much, and being happy if you could just say "hello" correctly! Thankfully, we had a nice day of going on calls & Bible studies, so I didn't have much to worry about.

This is Oscar. He's been in the congregation for a few years now, and has also picked up quite a bit of English. He's one of the best taxi drivers you'll find - he's helped us get out to Ojo on a number of occasions! In this picture, he was telling one of his studies how important the meetings are.

Jefte telling one of his studies about the Memorial last month. He's been involved in the Sign Language field for about nine years now, so he really knows his stuff!

The congregation in Chinandega was made official three years ago. At the moment, they have 26 publishers, including 7 that are deaf. They had a Memorial attendance of 91, including 61 deaf people! They have two elders and 17 regular pioneers. Yeah, that may make it sound like they're pretty stacked as a congregation, but they still need a lot of help. About 500 deaf people have been found in the territory, but because the territory is so large, they are only able to reach about 250 of them regularly. So it wasn't surprising that they were trying to convince me to try out Sign Language myself, especially since I gesture a lot anyway! 

Also in the Sign Language congregation are Kimmy & Ashlee, two sisters from New York who have been here together for about five years now. They form a major pillar of the spiritual environment in Chinandega. Kimmy knows all the ins and outs of Nicaragua; she's super helpful! They're a great team, and are always fun to be around. 

Jefte & I in the triciclo, ready for the day! Our driver was clearly very happy as well.

I'm so glad I got the chance to go witnessing with them! It was certainly different from what I've gotten used to, but it was nice to see other aspects of the ministry here in Chinandega. The preaching work in Chinandega is fruitful no matter what field you're in, be it Spanish, English, or Sign Language! 


Combined with my study Jorge coming to the meeting, yesterday was one of the most encouraging days I've had here! I'm so happy with how everything has turned out here. It's hard to believe I only have one week left before I go! 

Talk to you all soon,


Sam

4 comments:

  1. Yay, Jefte, Oscar, Kimmy y Ashley! We love LSN! See you at the next assembly if not before ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so encouraging to see and hear about, Iam sorry that i didn't get the chance to go to chinandega when i visited, maybe in the near future I will. Keep up the good work!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the update!
    www.nicatourism.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings from Granada Este! What a nice blog! Exciting to see the progress in Chinandega. And so good to see Jefte too. He's a great guy and FABULOUS dancer. He came here to Granada to give us a lesson once, and we can't wait to have him back.

    ReplyDelete