Tuesday, October 21, 2014

El Salvador 2014

Hey there!

Remember that time I said I'd be blogging every Monday? That's been working out great, huh? Isn't it nice to be following someone so consistently unreliable? Keyword: consistently. But for reals, yesterday I spent about eleven hours on a bus while functioning off of an hour-and-a-half of sleep, so my priorities rested on...well, resting.

The reason I was on a bus for eleven hours was because we went back to El Salvador for this year's regional convention in English! Once again, it was held in the capital city, San Salvador. We took the same bus as the Leon English congregation, allowing us to catch up with some old friends as well as make many new ones. All of us from Chinandega stayed in the same hotel, which was a lot of fun. There were also many brothers from the San Juan del Sur English group at that hotel, which, again, forged many new friendships.

Out to eat at one of the malls with Mirian & Ivonne and new friends Alexi & Lauren, serving in San Juan del Sur.
I'm just gonna get to the nitty gritty, guys. I was stupidly sick for the majority of this trip. I won't get too gruesome, but let's just say that the toilet in our hotel room probably got to know me better than anyone I met over the weekend. I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary, so it didn't seem to be a parasite. The whole bus ride to El Salvador, I had a pounding headache and it was FREEZING. Seriously, bros, the last two hours of the bus ride was FREEZING and my whole body was FREEZING and did I mention it was FREEZING because it was FREEZING. Wednesday night, when we arrived, I was sick for a good part of the night. Thursday night, I was sick in the bathroom even more. Friday night, I might as well have just slept in the bathroom. It. Was. Miserable. Not to mention I wasn't able to take a hot water shower, one of the only reasons (besides the awesome program) I came on the trip, until the day we left, Monday morning because not only does the hot water come and go but the hot and cold water faucets were switched around and it took me ALL week to figure that out. PLUS the air conditioning in our room was on all night every night even though it was a much cooler climate (love you Ben & Bree) so I actually slept with socks on, guys. Socks. And I was STILL FREEZING. By the time Saturday morning came, I was so out of it that I had to stay at the hotel and miss the morning session. I didn't feel horrible about that since I had already attended the entire convention twice before. I mustered up enough energy to go to the afternoon session, where I was basically dragged to the First Aid department, run by a brother who is also a doctor at a local clinic. He pretty much took me to their "infirmary," which consisted of a bed with makeshift curtains, and basically just said, "Hey so I'm not really sure what's up with you but I've got this huge needle with an antibiotic and I haven't been able to use it on anyone yet so I'm just gonna stick it in your rear end hope that's cool." A sister came in to administer the antibiotic and had me lay on the bed. She says, "This is a strong medicine," and I'm like, "So it's gonna hurt?" and she's all, "Yup." Before she pulled down my pants I asked her, "Um can we please make sure these 'curtains' are closed?" because just about anyone at the convention could see what was going on, so my brother stood guard. She's about to do her thing and says, "Okay, first I need you to breathe deeply and I'll give you the shot. Breathe!" I do so, she sticks the needle in, and says, "Breathe again," and I'm all, "Wait, was I supposed to breathe out?" and she goes, "Breathe!" and I'm like, "Oh! Gasp!" It was painful but I was a big boy and didn't cry/scream. Truth. They then gave me two huge pills and the next hour was just miserable. It was probably the medicine just doing it's thing, but I had never felt more out of it. However, it all worked! I didn't think to ask what the actual antibiotic was until after the program, but it was Amoxicillin. Whatever it was, it worked, and I've felt perfect ever since. So here's to you, Amoxicillin, for entering bodies painfully but for also being a most welcome house guest when you arrive.

Okay. Long, exaggerated, and horribly grammatically incorrect rant complete. The brother was actually really sweet and made sure I got just what I needed. Now, onto the program.

I'm really glad I got to attend this convention in English, even though it was my third time. There are so many practical points to take away from it that I have been trying very hard to apply. Plus, this convention was basically a mini international, with brothers coming from more than 19 different countries!

With my buddy Alex. He was baptized with his sister, Ella, and they have been serving in Granada English with their parents from the U.S. for over two years.
There were over 940 in attendance on Sunday, which is a massive increase on the roundabout 500 in attendance at the English convention two years ago. On Saturday, seven people were baptized, which is huge for an English convention! 

The drama was VERY well done. One of the most realistic dramas we've had!
The Higgs family also did this great demo.
I know I already said it, but this year's program was so practical. You'd be hard pressed not find a point you could apply. The demonstrations were very realistic and the interviews at this convention were very moving. One couple serving in Bluefields was interviewed about learning four different languages! The challenges they faced doing so and the advice they gave comforted those of us who are having enough trouble dealing with just two languages! The resurrection video on Sunday had many people in tears, including yours truly. However, I think the biggest thing I'm taking away from the program is to stop being anxious. Not much more I can say about that.

With Mauricio once again! He was incredibly helpful with so many things, including getting me medical attention. He is one of the most genuinely nicest and loving brothers you'll ever meet. It's impossible not to love him!
With Elkie & Steve.
One of the best parts of the weekend for me was reuniting with my good friends, Steve & Elkie. They served in Chinandega English in 2012, and we got pretty close. We spent quite a few nights together playing music, watching movies, or just venting to each other about whatever frustrations we were facing that week. They went home to Australia for a year and are now serving in San Juan del Sur. It was so great to see them after nearly two years!!

With the guys, minus Jefte!
Zach & I acting all buddy buddy...
...and then revealing our true disgust for each other.
Sadly, earlier this year, the Chinandega English congregation was dissolved after a reevaluation of the need for English in Chinandega. However, most of those who were part of the congregation have since moved on to other territories in Nicaragua - San Marcos, San Juan del Sur, Bluefields, Leon, Spanish congregations - and we were all reunited once again at this convention. Chinandega English may be no more, but that bond will never be broken.

Together again in El Salvador.
Although I'd already attended the convention twice in Spanish, it was still very refreshing to receive the program in English. I was able to dissect more specific points for application. On the bus ride home, I had everyone who was on the bus write down their favorite points from the convention to finish filling up my notebook, which has been very entertaining to read!

Oh yeah, someone also wrote, "I honestly don't remember much."
I was especially glad to share the experience with Ben & Bree. Now we're back in Chinandega and getting them settled into La Norte! I really missed being away, even though it was just for a few days. We're getting into a new routine, and it should be an exciting journey along the way. More to come soon! I have other things to write but it's 12:08 AM now, not even Tuesday anymore, which leaves me with no more saving grace for not writing on Monday. Plus, we've got a mouse in the house once again which is just nothing short of comforting. But hey, stop being anxious, right?


Take care,


Sam

3 comments:

  1. So glad you are better. Nothing like being ill before a convention. Hope you trap that mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always enjoy reading your blog,(even if not on monday) LOVE the way you ramble on, it makes me laugh. It is encouraging to see how you are using your life in such a fulfilling satisfying way. Glad your feeling better, never thought one could feel so cold there? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind words my friend! For me, it's impossible not to love you my dear brother! This will be always your home too!

    ReplyDelete