Monday, October 27, 2014

Blasts From the Past

Hi there!

Well, would you look at that - it's Monday! We had a very busy week starting to get into a new routine with Ben & Bree being here now. We arrived home from the El Salvador trip Monday night, completely exhausted, but nonetheless, we woke up for service the next morning. It was a good thing that we did because we had a great morning for their first time preaching in the new congregation. Ben picked up his first call and Bree started two studies!

Bree starting her first study with a young girl.
Ben getting his first call.
The advice we received at the convention about learning foreign languages was very useful. Using simple presentations is key! Showing videos from the website has also made things easier. Ben & Bree are excited to cultivate their calls and obtain more in the future.

Wednesday night was their first meeting in La Norte. They both commented and did very well. Everyone was very welcoming and is looking forward to having them here. 

On the left is my friend, Darling. She's spent the last few years in the Sign Language congregation, but recently switched back to La Norte. She was assigned to be the householder for the seven-minute demo (no, we didn't get to watch a video version of it like all you spoiled cats in the States). She was a little nervous since it was her first demo actually speaking out loud in a long time, but she did great!

Happy first meeting, Ben & Bree! Let's celebrate by having an impromptu elders meeting in the background. (Pure coincidence and I love my elders.)
My studies are going well. One of them, Edwin, has a huge family - seven kids! He was doing well in the Good News brochure, but I came to realize that it wasn't really striking the right chords with him. On Friday, we switched to one of the brochures that's much more practical for families (...), and that went much better! It really grabbed his attention and he noticed a lot of points that he could apply in his family life.

I love this picture. Working territory on Friday morning. You can see Erling preaching in the background, crutches and all. He's a trooper!
Saturday afternoon, I got a phone call asking me to do a substitute public talk in...you guessed it: Ojo de Agua! It was great to go out and see everyone again. My friend Ervin was appointed a ministerial servant over the summer (did I not mention that before?) and he's doing awesome! I'm very proud of him.

Again, I forgot to get pictures, and Ed took this, so as much as I don't really like pictures of myself speaking (my facial expressions are just too attractive for one to handle), this is the only evidence of my visit.
As another blast from the past, my old friend Felix, from Esteli, came to visit Chinandega this weekend to give the public talk in Sign Language! He was one of the first friends I made here in Nica, and although my time in Esteli was brief, we have nothing but good memories together.

Just a few years can actually make a noticeable difference. This picture was taken almost three years ago:

Me, Simon, and Felix at an assembly in Esteli (February 2012).
And this is us today:

Felix & I. Isn't it awesome how I'm wearing nearly the exact same outfit? Consistency, guys. Plus, no glasses.
I got to see Felix give his talk in Sign Language. He did an excellent job! I'm really glad that I was able to stay for the entire duration of it. Many good points to be taken away from it.

Felix presenting his talk. The theme was "Stay Awake Spiritually".
HA! Totally kidding, bros. I only stayed for five minutes. I have a pretty bad work schedule on the weekends. But I at least wanted to be able to see a chunk of it, and I'm glad I did. From what I saw, he really seems to know what he's doing! I remember a couple of years ago, him and I were talking, and he wanted to convince me to join the Sign Language group in Esteli. I had already planned to move to Chinandega by that point, but I wonder how different things would be now had I joined that group. I'd probably be just as much of a bundle of joy to be around as I am now. *sarcasm*

That's it for now. As I said, we're still getting into a new routine, but things have been going very well so far. Today is laundry day, one of my favorite days of the week *not sarcasm*. The rest of the week should be fairly busy with all of us trying to get in as much witnessing time as possible! See you all Monday, and I hope you're well until then.

Talk soon,


Sam

4 comments:

  1. Your friend Felix looks like a different guy altogether! And you, well, green's your color for sure! I still have this idea in my head that we'll come visit Chinandega some time. I dream big, what can I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I've been saying the same thing about Masaya. We'll make both of those things happen one of these days!

      Delete
    2. Let's just try not to make those two plans happen on the same day!

      Delete
  2. I now look forward to your blog every Monday. It is not long before your parents will be visiting!

    ReplyDelete