Monday, November 10, 2014

Enough of the Charade

Hi all,

I should be folding laundry right now, but why do that when I can procrastinate?! It's been another week full of some of the usual as well as some surprises. For one thing, the repainting of our Kingdom Hall has been completed! Here's a before and after shot:

Before
After




It's a huge change! I haven't gotten a picture of the inside yet because it's not completely done, but it's the same color as the light blue on the side. The brothers did a great job painting, although I have to admit I think I liked the yellow better. But hey, I'm adjusting.

Working one of our more rural territories yesterday.
We've been getting into a good witnessing routine together. Having the extra support really helps all three of us. (It also gives me some HILARIOUS stories to tell about Ben's progress in learning Spanish.) The brothers and sisters in the congregation have also been very helpful and patient. Honestly, though, while we were out preaching and walking through the territory as a group yesterday, I was listening to Ben chatting with Erling and Bree talking with Ivana, her partner for the morning. Although they were both still having a little trouble with it, I realized that they've actually picked up more Spanish than they realize! They're doing their best and it's paying off. (P.S. - I would never say that to their face, so enjoy reading this, Ben & Bree.)

You can tell the lady in the back is thinking, "Why are there so many white people in my yard?"
Bree reading one of the paragraphs.
Above is a new study Ben has picked up. His name is Guadalupe, and Ben placed a Good News brochure with him and his wife a week ago. He had showed them the "Why Study the Bible?" video and they both were very interested. He and Bree went back a couple days ago to continue the discussion, and I went as an emergency translator/pretty much only to take pictures. It went very well and he said he'll be awaiting their visit tomorrow!

I had begun studying the Good News brochure with a man named Erling, but hadn't gotten him home in a couple weeks since he's been busy with work. I got him home last Tuesday and saw that he already had the brochure on hand. He's been reading it in his free time, and has already read up through chapter five! We had a great study that afternoon. Hopefully we can continue it on a regular basis.

Only had time for one unflattering picture
with Jorgito before I had to go!
Yesterday, I went to give the public talk in another congregation here in Chinandega. Everything went fine, but after I concluded and was walking off the stage, I heard a very familiar voice call out, "Sam!" I look over, and who do I see but Jorgito with Sandra! Out of the thirty-some-odd congregations in this town, I just happened to give the talk in the very hall that her study conductor belongs to! Sandra told me that she had gone to one of the Sunday meetings, but apparently they've been going every Sunday for the past month! She's loving it, and she said Jorgito is making some good friends at the Kingdom Hall. That was one of the best surprises I've had in a long time. After everything they've been through with Jorge's death, it's great to see that they're doing the best thing they can do: relying on Jehovah. I still remember the days when she wasn't very open to the idea of me coming by to study with Jorge at all! 

Last night, the Zimmerman family had a party which included a fun game of Bible charades. I was laughing way too much, so I only managed to get one picture! Bible stories that were acted out included King Solomon & the dispute over the baby, Daniel & the lions pit, and Balaam & the donkey.

The kids were acting out Abraham getting ready to sacrifice Isaac.
For the Zimmermans, cooking is their expertise, and they make awesome gallo pinto (to be featured on the next edition of Que Pasta...after mamonchinos...). It was Ben's first time trying it...
...and I think I liked it! He did finish it, after all. Oh, and Bree will eat anything.

Again, nothing can be done without turning it
into a dance party. Show us how it's done, Zach!
Oh, would this be a good time to talk about the mice in our house?! No? Well, I'll talk about it anyway. There have only been two, and they were tiny, but sorry, bros. If there's a mouse in my house, it will not be making itself at home. They're clever little dudes who still managed to pick the cheese off the traps we got, so we had to resort to getting that sticky paper to trap them, and that seems to have done the trick. I'll spare you the details of his death (cue a bunch of people calling us inhumane for killing a mouse) and skip ahead to the part where I had to walk around the neighborhood with a plastic bag containing a dead mouse, looking for a public trash can. We had a dead mouse in the trash last week, and guys, believe me when I say that was one of the top three worst smells I've ever experienced in my life, so there was no way we were about to go through that again. But just picture the scene: I'm walking down the street with this plastic bag, holding it as far away from me as possible, and I guy walks past me with this expression of "Do I even want to know what's in that bag?" and I just nodded at him, mentally telling him, "No, you do not." Finally, I found a resting place for the mouse in a trash can in a little park down the street. 
Bree with Ashley, one of the best nine-year-old
publishers I've met!

We don't have anything too crazy on our plate for this week. Our parents are coming to visit in less than a couple weeks, so we're all trying to get in as much service time as possible before then. They'll be coming to one of our meetings while they're here, so it's my goal to have at least one of my studies come to the meeting so they can meet them. We'll see how it goes! It'll be great for Mom & Dad to meet everyone in the hall, and vice versa. Really looking forward to it. I'll talk to you all next Monday, and I hope you're well until then.

Take care,


Sam

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with the friends. My family is so encouraged by reading them. It gives my daughters a realistic idea of what they have to look forward to - the joys and the challenges. Thank you and may Jehovah continue to bless your efforts, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are experiencing mouse problems too. My roommate made me kill one a couple nights ago that was stuck to that paper you're referring to...hopefully your experience was more manly than my tear-filled shrieking endeavor.

    ReplyDelete