Monday, November 3, 2014

Mixing Things Up

Good day!

We have officially entered into my favorite time of year in Nicaragua. The rainy season may be over, but November, December, and January are the three coolest months of the year. The high humidity that coincides with the rain is gone, and the last few days have been b-r-eezy! For all you Mainers, I know that may not be easy to read, considering the first snowstorm of the year just hit you like a ton of bricks, but I live in the hottest part of the country. Just let me have this one.

This last week was another one for the books (or blog, in this case). Preaching has been getting better and better for all three of us. Both Ben & Bree conducted their first studies in Spanish!

Ben conducting his first study with Juan on Tuesday.
Erling had a nice call with Juan, the guy pictured above, and passed it onto Ben. After preparing carefully, we went to see him on Tuesday afternoon and studied lesson six out of the Good News brochure, and Ben did very well! It helps that Juan is very interested. He answered every question in his own words and comprehended each point fully. It should work out very nicely! I think it shows that you shouldn't waste time being afraid to try to get studies right away when learning a new language. Just jump right into it! It's one of the best ways to learn quickly.

The weather may be cooler, but we still, you know, live in the hottest part of Nicaragua.
I was concerned about one of my studies, Donald, since we had been having difficulty finding a time study that worked for the both of us. However, we've finally settled on Tuesday afternoons, and the regularity has been paying off. We studied the second lesson a couple weeks ago and watched the video about God's name. He loved it and asked, "Where can get that video for myself??" He took down the website address so he could find it himself!


Zach & I watched the David video with Jorgito on Thursday, and he loved it. Once again, a few of his neighborhood friends snuck in to watch it with us. Both Zach & I had only seen the video once before when we were little, so I think all of us learned something from it!

Sidenote: Tuesday night, I had the sudden urge to move our furniture around (turning in my mother). This is what it looked like before...


...and this is what it looks like now!


The couch feels way better over in that nook (where I am currently sitting and writing this post). I made Ben & Bree sit with me in the new living room to test it out, and we found that having it all in a separate, enclosed area actually encourages more conversation! (I'm always looking at it from the psychological side of things.) That night, I was still so excited that I couldn't sleep, so I got out of bed at 10:30 PM while Ben & Bree were in bed, and just sat in one of the rocking chairs with a huge smile on my face! ...I probably reveal too much on this blog sometimes...but yes, that's what it's come to. I know that no one is as excited about it as I am, but if you are, call me.

Sidenote: I put this picture on the side by accident, but I think I like
how it looks. Does it make the blog look more interesting? No? Okay.
At least it saves space.
Where was I...oh yeah.

Friday night, we had some friends from our hall over for some karaoke and card games. It turned into a very fun night, and Eduardo brought my old friend from Ojo, Ervin, which made it even better! Some of the card games may have gotten a little violent and resulted in two swollen fingers, but that's a risk you have to take. (Wow. NEVER ask me for advice.) Ben & Bree were really glad we did it. It's another great way to dive right into learning the language. Hang out with the locals! We really want to do it much more often.

One thing you'll learn very quickly here: You can't have a gathering
without it turning into a dance party or lesson of some sort.
Great night, great people! Sidenote: Erling's off his crutches.



The weekend was also busy. Our Kingdom Hall is going to be repainted, so a major cleanup needed to take place before the painting could be done. The brothers organized two full cleaning days to happen on Saturday and Sunday. Since we have three other congregations meet at this hall, it kind of threw off some meeting schedules, so the Central congregation attended our meeting Saturday night. We crammed 162 people into the hall, with some brothers kindly giving up their seats (Not me. I had the Watchtower reading. Snap!). We had a pretty exhausting week, so Ben & I just went to help out for a bit on Sunday.

There was a lot of help from all four congregations, with many coming and going at different times, so there was steady support throughout the day. There was a lot that needed to be done: scrubbing the floors and walls, sanding down the window sills so they could be repainted, and some landscaping work. Ben & I helped sand down the window sills.


Notice the red Fanta? Again, some things cannot be done without certain other things.
Having...so...much...fun.
"Quieres mamonchino?...Did I say that right?"
Eliezer & I being productive.




We wish we could have stayed longer, but we had to get home because I had to work and Ben & Bree had to get ready to head out to Leon since he was giving the public talk in the English congregation there. To make up for our not-so-great support, we distributed a couple of bags of mamonchinos (to be featured on the next edition of Que Pasta). Just the same, it was nice to see how well-supported the work was. The brothers always come together for these projects, no matter where you are in the world. That, along with this week's Watchtower, reminded me that our unity really does show that we have the true religion!





I think that's all for now. Ben & Bree are at the beach today while I'm doing laundry. Obviously, I'm not upset about that. I'll take a laundry day over a beach day any day! This next week should be another busy week, so be sure to check back in next Monday!


Take care,


Sam

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you're all happy and doing good. Especially my little girl. :)
    I'm getting excited to be coming there in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your blog and seeing your pics. And btw rearranging furniture is always so much fun (i turned into my mom a long time ago, lol). And i can share in your excitement! Every time you move the furniture around it breathes new air into the space and what a difference it can make! Nicely done. We're currently in the middle-of-nowhere Guatemala...and if we had furniture, I'd be moving it around too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its not bad being like me:) love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting-iron on top of the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete