Tuesday, February 26, 2013

C.O. Visit in Ojo

Hey guys,

This past week, we had the visit of our Circuit Overseer in Ojo de Agua. Well, actually, he was double-booked with us and another congregation, so we got a substitute! Even so, it was still a very busy week.

His name is Carlos Mejia. He is 43-years-old, and has an incredible backstory. When he was thirteen-years-old, he went to Cuba for schooling. There is where he learned the truth. However, once there was a ban on Jehovah's Witnesses, he was imprisoned soon thereafter. It was an absolute nightmare for him. He suffered severe starvation, dropping down to a shocking 70 pounds. He was even put in solitary confinement. All of the brothers were brutally tortured day after day. Once he was released, he faced yet another imprisonment for taking his stand as a Witness. After his second term in prison, he was eventually expelled from the country just for being a Witness. He wasn't the only one - hundreds and hundreds of brothers were deported from Cuba to Miami, forced to leave their families behind. Carlos met his future wife Carolina in Cuba, and they married in Nicaragua, having spent about twelve years total in Cuba. Even so, he said that when he was first released from prison, there were times when he would wake up screaming in the middle of the night because of the haunting memories. Can you imagine going through all of that? It would've been so easy for him to renounce his position as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in that situation, but he endured it all. He is an incredible example for all of us!
Carlos leading the service group on Friday.

The increased activity throughout the week was very encouraging. We had upwards of twenty people out each day, compared to the six or seven people that are usually out! He also gave us a goal for our meeting attendance throughout the week: we were told to invite at least one person to the next meeting. While I wasn't able to get any of my studies to come, we did have a big increase. On Tuesday, we had an attendance of 36, and on Sunday, our attendance was 57! 

The Tuesday night of his visit, Simon had gotten really sick and couldn't come, leaving me to cover his Bible Highlights. No pressure or anything! Simon gave me his notes, which I didn't have time to practice. The actual talk went fine, but when it got to the commenting portion, Carlos raised his hand, and I couldn't for the life of me remember his name! It was even worse because he remembered my name when I came into the hall! What was I meant to do? Let's face it, when the Circuit Overseer raises his hand, you can't ignore him, even if he's a substitute. So I did the only thing I could think of. I pointed to him and said, "Brother...Circuit Overseer." The booming laughter from the audience somewhat put me at ease, and he was very forgiving! I've always been good at making really good first impressions.

Ervin and Kelvin trying to walk fast, like me. No one else possesses the skill!

As hot and exhausting as the ministry is down here, every now and then we have to take a step back and remember how beautiful our territory is!

There was one major challenge during the visit. Carlos is a very loving and friendly brother, but his mixed Nicaraguan and Cuban accent makes him extremely difficult to understand. Nicaraguans are known for not speaking very clearly as it is! Even Maddie & Stephan were struggling to understand his talks, and they've been here for almost three years, mind you. The three of us were sitting together during his talks and having to compare notes!! He would always put me on the spot, too, saying, "Do you understand, Samuel? Do you understand the point? You don't understand, do you?" I really wanted to say, "Of course I don't understand! You're making me nervous!" Even my friend Eduardo - a Nicaraguan brother - told me that he understood why we had trouble communicating with him. Nevertheless, Carlos was so nice. He would always give me a big hug and tell me he appreciates all the work Simon & I are doing. I guess the phrase "love never fails" is true, even  when you don't speak the same language!

Stephan & Maddie enjoying a morning of service.

Although it was an exhausting week, both physically and mentally, it was well worth the effort. Carlos is a great example for all of us, and his story has strengthened my determination to never give up in Jehovah's service!
Carlos & Roberto walking to the territory on Saturday.

Oh yeah, and one other funny thing that happened: Wednesday night, we had the meeting with the regular pioneers. Afterward, some of us were speaking with Carlos. We had said something in English about how he doesn't speak very clearly. Carlos then said something to Roberto, who told us, "He understands English!" 

I replied, "Yeah, but he's probably not fluent, right?" 

Carlos then laughed and walked away. You can never be too sure.

Hope you all are well,


Sam

3 comments:

  1. What a great example Carlos is. It proves that with Jehovah's spirit, terrible circumstances can make one strong! Thanks for the background info on Carlos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful blog. Those who love Jehovah are always supported by him. The Jeremiah book helps us to appreciate this. I must admit though,that I've been sitting here laughing hilariously at your personal experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to read about serving in Nicaragua like this, cool blog. Do they have the long afternoon break or siesta there between morning and later service, and how long is that break?

    I also wonder with the CO visit, how are the meals provided there, do they have him to their homes for lunch and dinner?

    ReplyDelete