Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Step Over Into Maine!

Hey everyone,

I apologize for the delay. These past couple of weeks have been unbelievably busy. Why, you may ask? I paid a very special visit to one of the most important places in my life: my hometown! Winthrop, Maine!

Most of you know that my original plan was to be in Nicaragua for eight months, starting in August of last year. However, in November, I found out that two very close friends of mine, Erin & Paul, had gotten engaged. I was so happy when I found out. Soon, though, I was bummed to hear that they scheduled the wedding to be on March 9th. I wasn't planning on coming home until April. I contemplated maybe just going home in March, but then I realized I really need to be in Ojo for the Memorial. It was a really hard deciscion to make. I've known Erin basically my whole life, and she's one of my best friends! Paul and I have also become really good friends the past couple of years. They are a perfect match for each other, and I would have loved to be at their wedding. However, I knew that it was important for me to stick to my original plan to be in Nica for the Memorial.

Soon after the fact, Erin's mother, Kelly, contacted me with an unbelievable plan that would give me the best of both worlds. With her help and as a gift to Erin & Paul, I got a round-trip plane ticket that would take me back to Maine for the wedding and bring me back to Nica in time for the Memorial! How awesome is that?? We planned the whole thing since November, keeping it a total secret. The only other person back who knew of the plan was my father! It was up to him & Kelly to keep the surprise a secret. It was easy enough for me because I could just tell all my friends down here - how could they spoil the surprise? As you can imagine though, it was still difficult to keep the front of not coming to the wedding and disappointing Erin & Paul for all those months. Soon enough, though, the months flew by, and I hopped on a plane to Boston.

As soon as I got off the plane, the first thing I did was go to Dunkin Donuts (Yes, I am an American) and then catch a bus to Maine. I thought the drastic temperature change (going from high 90s in Chinandega to low 30s in Maine) would be hard to adjust to, but honestly, it was kind of refreshing! I was born and raised in New England weather, baby! I can deal.

Kelly picked me up from the bus station and we proceeded to go to a restaurant in Auburn. She had told Erin to get the day off because she had a big surprise planned for her. Paul found out about everything a few weeks beforehand, so he knew what was up and made sure he could be there. Kelly told them to meet her at the restaurant for a late lunch (Erin thought that a lunch with her mother was the big surprise). We got to the restaurant before them and told some of the staff members about the plan. They were very excited as well and happy to assist us! I had Bill, one of the hosts, videotape me as I snuck up on Erin & Paul. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to put videos on here, but here are some still shots.
^ Don't know if you can tell, but Paul was totally tearing up here too. That's why I love him!

After recovering from the shock of everything and an awesome reunion, it was time to head over to my house for an even more nerve-racking surprise: surprising my mother. My dad, of course, knew about everything. We called him and were happy to find out that my mom wasn't home yet. We managed to get to my house, catch up with my dad, and then hide me in the guest room until my mom came in through the door. Those of you who have seen the video know how priceless her reaction was, but here are some still shots.
First things my mother said:
"This was supposed to be a girls night, Sam!"
"You smell!"
"How long are you home for?? You're going back?!"
My dad had to keep the secret for four months, and now he was in trouble!

It was so much fun to catch up with my friends back home, and go out in service in the winter weather once again, not being drenched in sweat and having to drink four liters of water! At least I got to do it with my favorite baby in the world, Lily, who seemed to remember me even though I'd been gone so long!

There were a few other things that reminded me that I was definitely back in New England. For example, apparently, there is a family in Monmouth's territory that lives in three school buses. Yeah, nothing out of the ordinary.

Also, with the help of my very good friend Shawn, I was able to fire my first-ever potato gun. Again...I'm from New England!

I thoroughly enjoyed the luxuries of the first world - hot water, dryers, fattening foods, and normal temperatures (well, normal for Maine)! It was a very busy week between service, meetings, and being asked at the last minute to be in the wedding! I was excited and honored, but it was busy week nonetheless! Before we knew it, the wedding day arrived.
The wedding cake that my parents made for Paul & Erin.

Walking down the aisle with one of my best music partners and the Maid of Honor, Karin.

It was actually a pretty emotional ceremony! Paul & Erin are very much in love, and I know that they will do great things in Jehovah's service.

After the ceremony, it was time to party!

Overall, the reception was very classy! Good music, good dancing, good food, and good friends. 
This was a very nice surprise. This is Oscar & Ivana. I stayed across the street from them in Granada the first time I came to Nica about two years ago, with my friends Sage, Hollis, & Biz! They were serving there for a few months, and I hadn't seen them since. I knew that they were pretty good friends with Erin, so of course they would be at the wedding! It was so cool to see them again in the States and catch up. They certainly have one good reason for not living in Nica anymore...their newborn baby! Always a small world in the truth. 

The Roberts family! It was a lot of fun for us all to be together again. I was happy to see Ben & Bree and update them on the goings-on in Nicaragua since they last visited. Hopefully they'll come visit again!

I love this picture. Look how pensive Bree is!

With two of my closest friends in Monmouth, Ray-J (top) and Shawn (bottom). Don't know what I would do without them!

Karin & I rocking the dance floor.

With one of my best friends, Erin KIRKPATRICK!

And of course, one of my favorite people in the world, Paul!

Let's not forget the epic groomsmen: Adam, Nate, & yours truly.

All in all, it was an awesome trip, one that I will never forget. It meant everything for me to be there, and I am so happy I could make it. However, I have now returned to Chinandega for the hottest but most exciting time of the year: Memorial season! I am so excited for the upcoming Memorial. Even so, I am only in Nicaragua for about another five weeks before I leave again. Very weird, but I intend to cherish every minute of it - heat, sweat, and all. Congratulations, Paul & Erin!!

Oh, and how about one more picture of my sister Kayla & I looking more attractive than ever?
Well, maybe not...

Talk to you all soon!


Sam

6 comments:

  1. It was great having you home, 5 weeks will go by very fast and we will all see you at the one day!! In the meantime I'm sure you will be working hard during the campaign down in the heat, while we all up here wish we had some of that heat. Keep up the great work and see you very soon. Love you man Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww so glad you got to go home for that wedding. How awesome! Made me a little homesick reading it, but all is good! I have such good studies here that now I don't want to leave them behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel! I'm loving everything here in Nica, but the trip was definitely a good way to recharge my batteries. :) Hope you guys are well!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it must have been nice to recharge. I guess my mam and dad's visit was the equivalent for us. But when I think about the US, I think of the scripture that was in the WT the other week that I LOVED and felt I was reading for the first time - Heb. 11:13-16. I thought it perfectly reflected the mindset we all have to be staying down here. I think I might blog about that tomorrow!

      Delete
    3. It was so nice to have you home. Even though we always hate to see you leave, we know that it's more important for you to be with your congregation at this important time of the year. I hope we were able to refuel you to go back and finish what you started. You can come home for the summer, refuel, and head back again!

      Delete
  3. Really good pictures Sam. I hadn't seen a really good picture of the wedding cake. Looking forward to your return. Unfortunately Coral and will miss your public talk in April , because we are going to Quebec City that weekend.

    ReplyDelete