Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Busy Times!

Hello there,

We have jumped to full speed ahead in the blink of an eye! I know that I've just gotten back from Vacationland (No, really, Maine is also called Vacationland), but March has turned into an incredibly busy month. It's been busy in a good way, of course, but exhausting nonetheless.

Last week, I didn't make it back to my apartment after my journey from the States until 4:00 AM, but even at that time, I noticed that it was hot! I couldn't tell if I was just being a baby or if it really was hotter than usual, but thankfully, it wasn't just me. I know that we're in the hottest part of the year, but everybody has been saying that it's hotter and more humid than it should be. Temperatures are about to reach triple-digits. March and April are the two hottest months, April being worse than March. The consesus is that it's currently about as hot as it usually is in April, leaving us with two scenarios: 1) Since the bad heat has come early, maybe the rainy season will come early as well, or 2) The heat will get even worse. Let's all hope it's the first option!

In other news, Simon sold the motorcycle! He was hoping to sell it before we leave in April, and ended up selling it earlier than he expected to. We only have about a month before we leave, though. So how are we getting out to Ojo until then? Yup, you guessed it: back to cycling. 
Doing so was difficult enough when we first got here in September, but that combined with the increased heat, humidity, and dust makes for a very...well...interesting...commute. Needless to say, I've had to take way more showers than usual! At least it's only for less than one more month.
^I took this picture WHILE riding my bike, you guys. Again, that's how much I care!

Additionally, I was excited to find out that while I was away in Maine, the brothers managed to complete the repainting of the Kingdom Hall in Ojo de Agua!! Not only did they do that, but they also ordered some brand new chairs for the auditorium! Here is a before picture...

And an after...
I couldn't believe it! Now that the back wall is the same color as the rest of the auditorium, everything blends together much more nicely. It looks so much fresher than it did before. It's nice to see that all the hard work in the Jamaica fields has paid off, just in time for the upcoming Memorial! Domingo's son told me the other day that the work in the fields is just about finished, but there's still more to do - they're hoping to retile the floor soon as well as purchase new curtains. We also don't have our year text sign yet. Even so, everything looks great. It's amazing what they can get done when I'm not around! (Maybe that's a hint? ... well, this is awkward.)

Last Thursday, I conducted the Congregation Bible Study (I keep wanting to say Book Study!) for the first time ever - in Spanish! It was certainly a daunting task, considering I've never even done that in English, but it seemed to go well. People understood the other questions I asked, so that must be a good sign! Simon will be conducting it for the first time this week as well. They've definitely been keeping us busy! That same meeting, Roberto had the part about serving where the need is greater, and he interviewed Simon & I. It was interesting to look back on everything from the past seven months. We have both struggled with the heat & language barrier, but Jehovah has been helping out all along. He doesn't just take away the tough climate or immediately make you speak Spanish fluently, but he does make things easier. I certainly never thought that I would go from barely being able to formulate one sentence to conducting Bible studies & forming friendships with the Spanish brothers in the congregation! It's just funny how things change.  

If that wasn't enough to make your brain tired, here's more exciting news: Simon gave his first Spanish public talk this past Sunday! Eduardo has been helping him work on it for the past couple of months, and it was well worth it. It's been a goal of his ever since we came here, and I'm very proud of him! He did an awesome job. As for me? I have an outline that I've been working on, and the plan is for me to deliver it when I return to Nica in the fall. Be patient with me!

This past Sunday was also Maddie & Stephan's last meeting before they head back to England for work. They'll be gone for a few months, but they deserve the break - Ojo is pretty exhausting! Since Stephan is our only elder, the rest of us are gonna be very busy once they leave! It's certainly going to be a crazy next few weeks. I'm really gonna miss having them around. They always encouraged us through the difficult times, and it was nice to be in the same congregation facing those challenges together. I had to make sure that we got a congregation photo the day of their last meeting. (We had a higher attendance because a few of our friends came to see Simon's talk!)

Okay, let's see...increased heat, motorbike sold, remodel, conducting the study, giant killer rats have invaded the city, Simon's public talk, people leaving...is there anything I'm forgetting? Oh, yes - the Memorial invite campaign! 
The campaign has been going well in Ojo. We've almost covered our entire territory, so now it's just a matter of going through some areas again to make sure everybody has an invitation. A nice big truck has been rented to pass through the outer parts of our territory to pick up those who live far from the Kingdom Hall. It'll pass by about 45 minutes beforehand so that everybody can get to the hall in time to get situated. They're also going to use the truck to bring people home afterward. Definitely a nice provision! And guess who gets to drive it - Simon! He's nervous but he'll have a local brother assisting him. Everybody in the territory is looking forward to it, and I hear Ojo always has a great turnout. We're hoping that most of our studies and return visits will be able to attend. It's gonna be crazy busy, but I'm excited!

Jen & Cassie helping to advertise the Memorial at the La Colonia literature table in English. It sounds like the English congregation is going to have a great turnout as well!

Okay, I think that's everything for now! We've definitely been keeping busy despite this awful heat. I have some other random things that I'll blog about later. Until then, I hope you all are enjoying your respective Memorial campaigns, and I will talk to you soon!

Take care,


Sam

5 comments:

  1. Did I miss the part about killer rats invading the city. I was short on time and did skim a little bit but I thought that would have caught my attention. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I probably should've clarified that was a joke! I was really tired when I wrote this one. :)

      Delete
  2. Tell Simon that his grandma's friend Rachel said Congrats on giving his first Spanish public talk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the great work buddy! Exciting to hear about conducting the Bible Study in Spanish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you certainly didn't waste any time in getting right back into the thick of things! Makes me think of these two verses...1 Cor. 15:58,1 Tim. 4:10. It's so encouraging to hear about the progress in the ministry in Nica as well as your and Simon's spiritual progress on a personal! You're a fine example for us all!

    ReplyDelete